Friday, February 19, 2010

Victorian Romance Emma (anime review)

****
_______________________________
# of Episodes:
24 (12 per season) + recap ep
Rating: early Teen
Genre(s): Romance/Drama/Slice of Life
________________________________
My friend Elijah (who is an anime geek to the extreme) is a genius for giving me this anime to watch! I finished both seasons in a matter of days because I just could not stop watching except to eat and let my eyes take a break because I get bad headaches if I don't. Ha ha *sweet drop*
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
~Synopsis~
William Jones’s trip to visit his governess Kelly Stowner yields more than just an opportunity to reminisce on old times; he also ends up falling in love with her maid, Emma. However, trouble arises from this relationship because William is a member of the gentry and with his father looking to raise his family’s status by marrying into the nobility, this relationship meets with some major resistance. It also does not help that Eleanor Campbell, the daughter of a viscount has fallen in love with William and seeks to gain his affection. [The Nihon Review]
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
~Initial Impressions~
When I first started watching this series, I was a little surprised by how it captivated me. Normally a series that is this slow would make me want to stop watching... ok, that's a lie BUT STILL I did consider dropping this series after a few episodes simply because of the premise but episode one just would not let me do that.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
~The Music/ Dub~
This is the type of series that a Japanese dub just doesn't really work, so when I tried to hunt down an English version to no avail I was pretty sad. The reason why I just can not give this anime a perfect score is because of the lack of a fitting English dub, not to say that the Japanese one wasn't good... it just wasn't fitting!
The music on the other hand was sweet and very Victorian sounding :D
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
~The Visuals~
If I lived in the Victorian era, I'm pretty sure it would look like this anime does. The animation was very calming, and really help with setting the happy and sad and dramatic moods in this anime. I adore the color pallet!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
~The Story~
Slow romances usually don't go as well as this one did! Especially the ones where a master falls in love with a maid. AH, usually they are too funny or too fan service filled for me to care but this one.... was really well done! It's not your typical maid series.

No comments:

Post a Comment